Garages are an essential element of a house when it comes to the overall appearance of your home. But unfortunately, most homeowners take their garages as a mere functional area and neglect their actual significance. In maximum cases, garages are placed in front of the house. So, it needs to blend with the overall design and contribute to the curb appeal of the home. When choosing the right garage door for your house, you need to keep many things into consideration.
One of the most important things among those is the material of the door. You can choose from a variety of materials depending on your choice and budget. Everyone must have heard about steel, aluminum, and wood, but little do we know about fiberglass garage doors. The reason behind the popularity of this material is that it comes in a range of designs and finishes. Although it has a few drawbacks, this material is ideal for specific weather conditions and preferences of some people. So, here are some of the gains and weaknesses of fiberglass material for your consideration so that you can decide if it is appropriate for you or not.
Advantages of Using Fiberglass Garage Doors
- Fiberglass is considered one of the lightest materials for garage doors, making it easier to move up and down. As a result, it puts less tension on the lifting parts or your hands while manually lifting the door. However, for ensuring the sturdiness and durability of the door, it is often included with a steel core.
- Fiberglass is one of the cheapest materials available in the market compared to wood and sometimes even steel. It costs almost the same as the aluminum but with better insulation. If the fiberglass garage dooris designed with polyurethane insulating layers sandwiched between fiberglass shells, it can even provide better insulation than the wooden doors, which improves the energy efficiency of the garage doors.
- Fiberglass is the ideal garage door material for the buildings situated in the coastal area. It is entirely corrosion free and will never expand or contract with rapid temperature changes. Moreover, it is a very low-maintenance material not to have to invest much money or time.
- Fiberglass has a semi-transparent finish that allows more light into your garage. Inversely, if you don’t want more lights, you can paint the material with a dark color or add a wooden finish without investing the high costs of wood.
Disadvantages of Using Fiberglass Garage Doors
- Because of its semi-transparent finish, it fails to provide natural insulation. You will have to invest in additional insulation material for better insulation of your garage.
- It can prove to be a fragile material for places in extreme cold weather conditions. Thus, it is better suited for warmer places like Las Vegas.
- The fiberglass garage doors can be vulnerable to damage in high winds and also make your neighbors irritated with its noise.
- It is not only susceptible to extreme cold or high winds; an old fiberglass door can also be found to develop cracks with time.
- As this material is not as strong as wood or steel, it makes it easier for burglars or thieves to break into your house, risking the security of your family members. It would be best to repair or replace your door at the early signs of any damage.
At the Las Vegas Best Garage Door Repair, you will find all specialized garage door repair, replacement, and installation services. You will find around the clock customer support services who are always available to assist you with any problem you face. They have highly professional, experienced, and certified technicians in their house who will provide you the service that you can find no other match. The company and its workers are always committed to its customers in providing quality services, prompt and efficient communication, and professionalism. So, what is stopping you from getting in their contact? Book an appointment or consult for a free quotation for your garage.