Any garage door’s primary function is to provide security to your vehicles, family members, and other belongings. It is the part of your house that remains exposed all through the years during different seasons and natural disasters. That is the reason why the material of which the garage door is made is crucial to keep in mind while installing a garage door. Steel wood and aluminum are the three most common garage door materials. But there is one more useful and study material used for manufacturing these garage doors – fiberglass.
Although it has a mixed review among its users, these garage doors are uniquely suited best for specific environments and people’s choices. So, before you decide to install a fiberglass garage door at your house, here are some of the benefits and drawbacks of fiberglass as a garage door material that help you determine if it is right for you or not.
Benefits of Fiberglass Garage Doors
Fiberglass material has lost its popularity among homeowners in the last few years, but it has some advantages of using it, especially for some particular places.
- It is a very lightweight material. The lesser weight helps put much less strain on the lifting parts of the door and makes it easier to open and close the door manually. You don’t need to be bothered about its sturdiness, as a steel core is usually included to give the door the required strength and durability.
- Another attractive feature of this material is that it comes at a very affordable price. It is a lot cheaper than wood and sometimes even steel. Fiberglass comes in a similar price range as the aluminum doors, but with better insulation. If an insulating layer is included between the layers of fiberglass shells, the door becomes capable of providing more insulation than the wooden doors. This one is a great feature for improving the energy efficiency of your house.
- One more fantastic advantage of this material is that it will not corrode. This feature makes it more preferable for the houses in the see area. The material will not expand or shrink with the abrupt temperature changes or cause rot or warp due to the excess moisture in the air. It is literally a very low-maintenance material.
- Moreover, fiberglass is a transparent material that allows more natural light into your garage. Also, if you don’t want too much sunlight, you can always paint with your favorite colors and make designs of your choice to give it a chic look.
Drawbacks of Fiberglass Garage Doors
- Since this material is semi-transparent and very lightweight, it lacks in providing the desired insulation if you do not have an extra layer. It compels you to invest in an additional insulation unit to save yourself from the long-term expenses of exorbitant electricity bills.
- The door is not ideal for areas with a freezing atmosphere. Exposure to excess cold makes it fragile. It performs better in warmer places like Las Vegas.
- Fiberglass material tends to break or get dented in front of high pressure of winds. Also, you can get frequent complaints from your neighbors about the noise it generates.
- It also fails to protect you from break-ins and burglary as it can easily be broken.
- And finally, fiberglass becomes yellow and brittle what age and continuous exposure to sunlight and cold.
The Bottom Line
Here we have provided you with a comprehensive understanding of all the aspects of the fiberglass garage doors. You should consider all the up and downsides you might have if you install the garage door of this material in your area before landing on any decision. But to be safe, you can always take suggestions from the professionals. If you are in Las Vegas looking for a garage door installation or repair work, Las Vegas Best Garage Doors is a company that provides high-quality professional garage door services in your area. You can visit their website or ask for a quotation to experience the quality of their services.